Saturday, January 17, 2009

www.adevelopedworld.com

I just saw the interview I gave for the site www.adevelopedworld.com. I mistakenly assumed it's Singapore-based but it's actually an international collaboration. From the site: "A Developed World is an action-oriented social publication that uncovers the stories behind the work of social entrepreneurs and visionary leaders, who are changing lives around the world."

You can read the Bloom's story here.

The site is worth exploring and there is an impressive list of interviews with social entrepreneurs and volunteers from all over the world. I was interested to read about the work of the The Freedom Theatre in the Jenin Refugee Camp. The Freedom Theatre tries to help children in Palestine heal from their traumatic experiences through creative writing.

It reminds me of the time we had some visitors to Singapore who were from the former Yugoslavia. I honestly cannot remember the ethnicity (whether Bosnian, Serbs, Croatian) of the teenagers who came to Singapore to act out their lives in self-written plays. They had visited Yio Chu Kang secondary school to meet with Singapore counterparts to share their experiences and my friends and I had volunteered to organise the programme. This must have been 10 years ago. What I do remember is how every single one of the Yugoslav students knew someone who had died in the war. I wonder how they are now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin