Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cambodian Spider!

I laughed when I watched a spider freak Mark Beaumont out somewhere in Australia. Beaumont's attempt to smash the Guinness World Record for cycling around the world was shown on BBC recently. The spider he found on his backpack, while definitely dangerous looking, was smaller than this one living in my house...If you click on the image you can see its eyes, shining green!

I actually like spiders. Those we find in the house are mostly harmless and eat insects. I googled poisonous spiders in Cambodia but all I could get were spiders as food in Cambodia. Skuon is a province famous for its hairy edible spiders and you can see a picture of it and read more here weirdmeat.com.

I have tried the spider - just the legs though, I did not dare eat what I imagined to be its gooey stomach! My friends and I tried it at Romdeng restaurant in Phnom Penh and I have to say I liked the legs. It's crunchy and tasty and the hairs weren't a bother. Bon appetit!

1 comment:

TR Ryan said...

This spider was lurking under the lid of my toilet this morning in Ratanikiri Province. It has huge fangs and was defending the toilet bowl. I can't find any reference to its venomosity.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin