Saturday, June 13, 2009

Siem Reap's Disabled Booksellers

I wrote about helping Douk the disabled bookseller some time back. Well, a few days ago I ended up helping another disabled bookseller. Joeun was born crippled and uses his hands to peddle himself around town on a cart attached to a bicycle. He, too, sells photocopied books. He asked me to write an English sign for him. This was what I came up with:

"Hello, my name is Joeun. I was born handicapped but I don’t want to be a beggar. I want to work to support my family, like any man. I have three young children. When you buy a book from me, you help me to feed and clothe my family and enable me to send my children to school. Thank you so much for your time and for your help, Joeun"

Anyway, so today, his pal, also the same, handicapped and on a similar wheeled vehicle decided he was going to sell books too. His friend whose name is Lout-ern (at least that is how it is pronounced) came by and asked me to make him a sign. Now I have to come up with another story -- would it be weird if they were all the same?

Maybe I should start up a cooperative for the book-sellers!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin