Wednesday, September 30, 2009

City living for small animals


One of the things I like about living in Siem Reap is the nature and small animals I encounter at home and in town. These are animals that are mostly gone in the concrete jungle that is Singapore now. We had a small garden when I was a child in Singapore and I remember catching small grasshoppers exactly like this one so I could feed them with blades of grass. They actually ate the grass out of my hand. This one I found on my laptop bag one day in the house in Siem Reap.

This small toad was found on our mop one day I guess because the mop was still wet. Once we saw a completely white frog at the taps on our bath. I wish I had taken a photo because I never saw it, or another albino frog again. I think it was albino, or maybe it was camouflage because our bathtub is white.

These one I saw one night on the way home, just outside the Maybank in town. The grasshopper was in camouflage mode, trying to blend it with the rubble where some construction work was ongoing. What a magnificent creature. I hope it managed to flit away and find some grass.

And this is what happens when you get too close to Man. This was a rat, now roadkill. It's a common sight in Cambodian roads in the cities.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin