Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My friend's email was hacked and used for a scam


Picture credit: hoax-slayer.com.

For anyone who emails from an Internet shop or hotel in Cambodia, please take care to log out properly. I've used PCs at some of the Net cafes here in Siem Reap where people have forgotten to log out of their facebook, yahoo messenger or hotmail account.

Anyway, this is what happened to my friend:

"Yesterday, my email account was hacked and an email was sent to all the contacts in my address book.

I was using the computer in a Melbourne Hotel. After i logged out from the internet, i wanted to delete the cache but an error occured, i wasn't able to delete the cookies. The next morning, i received phone calls from my friends to check if i was safe and alerted me about the scam. I was not able to send out any emails due to an 'over-limit' so was unable to inform everyone.

PLEASE IGNORE IT AND BEWARE, THIS IS THE LATEST INTERNET SCAM.

Below is the email that was sent out:

From: [My friend's name]
Sent: Tue, December 15, 2009 3:13:02 AM
Subject: Sad News!!!

Am sorry i didn't inform you about my urgent trip to London, i don't have much time on the PC here,so i have to brief you my present situation which requires your urgent response actually, I had a trip to London but unfortunately for me all my money got stolen at the hotel where i lodged due to a robbery incident that happened in the hotel.I had been so restless since last night because i have been without any money moreover the Hotel's telephone lines here got disconnected by the robbers and they are trying to get them fixed back i have access to only emails at the library because my mobile cant work here so i didn't bring it along,please i want you to help me with money so please can you send me 850 Pounds or any amount you can afford so when i return back i would refund it back to you as soon as i get home,Am so confused right now and don't know what to do, I had been to the embassy and they are currently looking into my case,Please send the money through Western Union Money Transfer so i will get it immediately its sent,i want you to please transfer the money as soon as possible.Here is the details you need for the transfer below,

Receivers Names: [My friend's name]
Receivers Address: 328 Mile End Road
City- London
Country- UK
Zip Code- E1 4NS

Please get back to me as soon as you have the money sent,once you are done with the transfer just help me to scan a copy of the receipt given to you by Western Union or help me to write out the Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN)

I will be waiting for your help. Thank you so much

Best Regards
[My friend's name].

3 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for posting this. It just saved me a bunch of heart ache!

Diana Saw said...

No worries Mary. I know - these people are so despicable, preying on the love of others. We must spread the news and expose them all! (says crazy vigilante Diana) :-)

Alexis said...

Usually I work with other email programs. But yesterday I used ms outlook, and something happened with my account password. It's so fortunate that I observed an especial software at one site. It effortlessly settled all my problems and showed me some facilities such as recovering password for any version of ms outlook and so on - outlook password forgot.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin