Thursday, June 11, 2009

Orphan Tweets

"When people sign up for Twitter, post once, then never return. After examining some 300,000 Twitter accounts, a Harvard Business School professor reported last week that 10 percent of the service's users account for more than 90 percent of tweets." Read the slate.com article.

I am one of these people. I signed up a few months ago to see what all the fuss was about and never bothered to return. Then about a month later, my sister emailed to ask if I had asked her to sign up to Twitter. Huh? Of course not. But it seems Twitter sent emails like this one (see below) to everyone in my contact list. I was really pissed off and swore never to use Twitter again.

So to all those who got spammed with this email, I'm sorry. Also, please don't bother following my tweets as my orphaned tweet won't be getting any siblings, what more an entire family.

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:48:26 +0000
> To: [my sister's email address]
> Subject: Diana Saw wants to keep up with you on Twitter
> From:
>
> To find out more about Twitter, visit the link below:
>
> http://twitter.com/i/92fb356b75a5226613384fc6792f898720cb6f68
>
> Thanks,
> -The Twitter Team
>
> About Twitter
>
> Twitter is a unique approach to communication and networking based on the simple concept of status. What are you doing? What are your friends doing—right now? With Twitter, you may answer this question over SMS or the Web and the responses are shared between contacts.
>
> This message was sent by a Twitter user who entered your email address. If you'd prefer not to receive emails when other people invite you to Twitter, click here:
> http://twitter.com/i/optout/ed7f51ad8182ff227d156d902c1a865b680df2e7

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin