Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What happens when today's teen uses a Walkman instead of an iPod


I love, love this BBC Magazine experiment! What a great idea!

Pictured is 13-year-old Scott Campbell, from Aberdeenshire in the UK:

"My dad had told me it was the iPod of its day. He had told me it was big, but I hadn't realised he meant THAT big. It was the size of a small book...

"It took me three days to figure out that there was another side to the tape [Side B--haha!]. That was not the only naive mistake that I made; I mistook the metal/normal switch on the Walkman for a genre-specific equaliser, but later I discovered that it was in fact used to switch between two different types of cassette.

"Another notable feature that the iPod has and the Walkman doesn't is "shuffle", where the player selects random tracks to play. Its a function that, on the face of it, the Walkman lacks. But I managed to create an impromptu shuffle feature simply by holding down "rewind" and releasing it randomly - effective, if a little laboured."

Hahahaha! I remember my Walkmen (yes I had a few). This does bring back memories, including the time I was so desperate for music while backpacking alone in Europe for 3 months, I bought a metallic pink Walkman in the UK.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin